Re: hard drive problems... misconfiguration?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:09:11PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This isn't exactly Debian specific, but maybe someone here knows what
> the problem is ... ?
>
> I have an old P120 laptop with a 1Gig drive. This drive is acting up
> quite a lot lately. At the bottom of the email is an example of the log
> messages.

it is a good idea to visit the manufacturers' site. download an utility
and test the drive for errors. seagate and western digital have pretty
good utilities that run off a floppy after you boot using a dos bootdisk.

in my experience, smaller wd drives are particularly prone to failure.

sam
--
(Sam Varghese)
http://www.gnubies.com