Re: Unusual filesystem/memory corruption

John Toon wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2001 16:37:58 -0500, Mike Brownlow wrote:
>
> >  * hdparm options: -m16 -d1
> >  * Machine is behind firewall, and has few services for external
> >    access
> >
> > I suspect hardware failure caused it, but there are still a few software
> > unknowns. I'm starting to lean on corruption due to using -m16 for
> > hdparm. Any other suggestions appreciated...
>
> Ouch. Sounds bad.
>
> In general, you should _not_ use hdparm, for the simple reason that if
> you build a custom kernel with all the necessary options, it will
> default to optimum performance anyway (you can set "Use DMA by default"
> under the block device options).

Aha. I figured using it was going to be a "Bad Idea" eventually. :)
I compile my own kernels and have that set.

> I'm running a 2.4.5 XFS patched custom kernel that I built, and DMA/32
> bit disc access etc. is fully operational by default since I selected
> the appropriate kernel options. With modern kernels, hdparm is totally
> unnecessary and potentially dangerous (except for performing performance
> tests on your drive of course!).

Hum! I should have known this.. But it always seemed the drives were
too slow with default settings.

> What chipset does your mainboard use?

VIA. It's a KT133 chipset on a Asus A7V. The drives are on the ATA100
promise controller.

--
Mike Brownlow           ><>          http://www.wsmake.org/~mike/
1024D/8AA6EAFD 3861 96B3 EEA2 285C BE23  F706 3E1E EBB2 8AA6 EAFD