Re: Unusual filesystem/memory corruption

On 11 Aug 2001 16:37:58 -0500, Mike Brownlow wrote:

>  * hdparm options: -m16 -d1
>  * Machine is behind firewall, and has few services for external
>    access
>
> I suspect hardware failure caused it, but there are still a few software
> unknowns. I'm starting to lean on corruption due to using -m16 for
> hdparm. Any other suggestions appreciated...

Ouch. Sounds bad.

In general, you should _not_ use hdparm, for the simple reason that if
you build a custom kernel with all the necessary options, it will
default to optimum performance anyway (you can set "Use DMA by default"
under the block device options).

I'm running a 2.4.5 XFS patched custom kernel that I built, and DMA/32
bit disc access etc. is fully operational by default since I selected
the appropriate kernel options. With modern kernels, hdparm is totally
unnecessary and potentially dangerous (except for performing performance
tests on your drive of course!).

What chipset does your mainboard use?

John.