help! kernel panic

Well, I patched up to 2.4.8 and recompiled the kernel and I _thought_ I
did everything right.  I rebooted so that I could reload a couple of
modules and on the reboot it just stops says Kernel panic: cannot mount
root fs.  So basically here's the question.  There a way to fix it without
doing a format of my linux partion?

feeling dumb,

Justin

=====
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."-Albert Einstein