Re: backups using tar - /dev/ht0

    Alvin> so you do NOT have /dev/ht0 as a device....

    Alvin> manually creaate a device called /dev/ht0 with mknod...
    Alvin> and give it the type, and major and minor id

    Alvin> if the device is made properly... it should be like
    Alvin> crw-rw---- 1 root disk 37, 0 May 5 1998 /dev/ht0

Based on the instructions that you kindly provided yesterday, I have:

rskoss@bear:~$ cd /dev
rskoss@bear:/dev$ ls -al ht0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      37,   0 Aug 10 19:50 ht0
rskoss@bear:/dev$

    Alvin> until "ls -la /dev/ht0" looks liek the above line...  there
    Alvin> is no point to doing any mt/tar commands..

It looks like we're close.

    Alvin> what kind of tape drive do you have etc would dictate which
    Alvin> tape driver yu are gonna be using

This is an OnStream DI-30. The driver is supposed to be part of the
kernel. I'm running Potato with the supplied 2.2.19pre17 kernel.

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java