Re: Re: OH NO! I can't login with any display-manager!!!

Hi Kent!

I think it's not window-manager related. I tried different windowmanagers and it's all the same problem. The display manager tells me "login failed" (in kdm) or "authentication failed" (in gdm) everytime I try to login with the correct log-in and password. So the only way to get into KDE or something like that is to start X manually. I have also the blackbox and the enlightment installed. If I start X with startx, the blackbox is loaded as the default. Could it be, that there occurrs a conflict, if X is started then automatically by kdm or so? Do I have to edit a config-file to change something?

Thanks,
Bernard

kent.west@infotech.acu.edu schrieb am 08.08.01:
> Bernard Reißberg wrote:
>
> > BeRnArD29ReIsSbErG04IlMeNaU1980
> >
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I installed newly Debian potato on my laptop and got the KDE 2.1.2 from kde.debian.net. Everything worked fine but one: I can't login with kdm. Everytime I try this, the login fails. But in textmode I can login without any problems. I think this is not a problem caused by kdm, because the same problem occured also if I try it with gdm or xdm. I tried it also with different times of new installations of the whole system. But now I have no more ideas what to do. I don't think that something is broken. The packages are all actual from the potato-servers. Could somebody give me a hint, please? I can only start my gui with startx. This should not be bad and is maybe sometimes better than the automized start of of X, but I'm really interested in the reason for this problem. Thank you very much!
> >
> > Bernard
>

> I suspect it may be window manager related. Perhaps startx is starting
> one wm, such as icewm, and kdm/gdm/xdm/wdm is trying to start a
> different wm, such as sawfish, and that one is non-functional. I believe
> kdm offers a pull-down menu to try different wm's, so you might try that.
>
> Or is it telling you that it really is a logon issue, perhaps with a
> message like "Invalid logon" or something, in which case it's not window
> manager related.
>
> Kent

BeRnArD29ReIsSbErG04IlMeNaU1980
Jetzt und nur hier Ihr original PREMIERE WORLD SportPaket
plus 100 Euro ExtraPrämie: http://premiere.web.de