Re: matrox g450 and dri

Quoth Matthew Garman,
> I'm trying to get DRI to work with my new Matrox Millenium g450.  It's the
> dual head, 32 MB ram version.  I only have one monitor, so I really don't
> need the second head :)

Yep, i have the same setup.

> Anyway, here's my setup:
>
> Debian v2.2 (potato), but with the XFree86 4.1.0 binaries installed from
> people.debian.org/~cpbotha/.  I'm running a self-compiled kernel version
> 2.4.7.

I think the version of X is your problem. The modules from the Matrox
site seem to be specific to the various point releases of X 4.

Last time I looked, they only supported 4.03 (the version currently in
testing).

Try downgrading to the testing version and see if that works (yeah, a
pain, but you do want to see those screensavers in all their gl glory,
don't you?).

> Still the problem persists.  The most suspect line my
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log file is this one:
>
> (EE) MGA(0): [drm] MGADRIScreenInit failed (DRI version = 4.0.0, expected
> 3.0.x).  Disabling DRI.

While I don't know for sure, this error message suggests that these
particular drivers are for X 3.x

> Since I'm not really sure how all these pieces fit together, I'm not sure
> what file needs to be upgraded (or downgraded?).

The version of X4 in testing works fine for me. I suspect that I might
have to put it on Hold for when 4.10 creeps into testing unless Matrox
get their arses into gear and release new drivers.

HTH,

damon

--
Damon Muller :: Department of Criminology :: University of Melbourne

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
  -- The Tempest