backups using tar

When this box was running RH, I would backup using my Onstream tape
drive thusly:

tar cvbf 64 /dev/ht0 /stuff /moreStuff

With my recent Debian install, this no longer works, giving me a
"device full" error.

But, with the 2.2.19 kernel included with Debian, the Onstream driver
is included in the kernel. Looking at dmesg, I see that the Onstream
drive is recognized as hdc.

Not being all that familiar with /dev, should I now be using /dev/hdc
instead of /dev/ht0 ?  If so, how would that work with rewind devices?

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java