Re: Stop apt-get downloading same Packages.gz from different mirrors

> for up-to-date and for bandwith reasons i have
> multiple debian mirrors in my sources.list, a close
> one (which i hope is faster) and the official master
> (which i believe is updated first):

<snip>

> Now if i do 'dselect update' or 'apt-get update' most
> of the time i see two 'Packages' files being
> downloaded, which, if they are what i find in
> /var/lib/apt/lists, are equal. Is there any possibility
> or plan to stop this double download? (As you can
> see i'm running woody, but i wouldn't mind installing
> some - not too many! - packages from sid).

I think it has to download the packages file from both sites
in order to compare and see which has the newer packages
available. Doesn't that make sense ?? If it gets the list from
your close mirror and doesn't check the official site, you may
always be a package-revision behind...

Hall