Re: XMMS hanging system?

On 09 Aug 2001 08:55:52 CDT, Michael Heldebrant writes:
>Well at least we know it's not XMMS.  Perhaps a downgrade to 4.0.3 X
>will restore some stability for you.  They don't call it "unstable" for
>no reason sometimes ;>

>> This is all included for completeness at his point - I removed XMMS, and it
>> the entire sytem hung again, same way.  Locked up, no keyboard acces,
>> nothing.  I reran XFree86 -configure, as the X server is the only thing
>> that has been running each time.  I also changed the mouse over from ttyS0
>> to ttyS1 (where XFree86 found it this time), and I'm investigating error
>> messages at X startup - all of them font related, though, so I'm not sure
>> that they are relevant.  Now that I no longer think it's XMMS, I'm sort of
>> in a quandary.  Thanks for your help.

Well, I think there could be 2 reasons for the lockups, one of them
actually being xmms. I run xmms on two of my boxen, one w/ kernel
2.0.38 and X 3.3.6, the other kernel 2.2.19 and X 4. Both sometimes
lock up when using xmms. And only then. Never been able to get any
useful information, though, even when running strace the machine hangs
before displaying anything useful :/

Oh, and on the 2.0.38 box xmms is setuid root, on the other it´s not.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- The difference between sex and death is that with death
-- you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you.