Re: Cameras for linux: the million $ question

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 07:47:56PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2001, Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> > High,
> >
> > > I've a laptop with debian potato 2.2r3 and like to buy a digital
> > > camera to use with it and the Gimp.
> > >
> > > Any suggestion about cameras and their compatibility with debian?
> > >
> > I have heard that the Logitech (USB's?) are a bad choice for Linux because
> > they do not release any Linux drivers for it. If you buy one, be sure you
> > can return it and get another one in case it does not work.
>
> I bought a sony mavica and it works great! Images are on a floppy disk
> and there's no headache whatsoever. Sony Mavica's can be had for about
> $300..

   I have one Olympus D400 Zoom and it works very well with gPhoto. It`s pretty
old now, I`ve bought it two years ago. There are drivers to models until
D450, but I guess newer ones can work with it. In addition to that there are
drivers to many kinds of digital cameras, it`s worth looking there the site is
	www.gphoto.org

HTH,
  Rafael Sasaki