Speedo font?

I got my rage 128 video card today, fired up xf86config, went through
that, and did the startx thing.  Tadah!  There was the grey screen and an
X in the middle...for about half-a-second.  The thing then quits, and
spits me back out to console (on cntl-alt-F7, whatever you call that).  I
hit cntl-alt-F1 (the thing I was running when I typed "startx"), and the
last line says "Could not init font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!" and that's all she
wrote.

I've got all the standard font pkgs installed, and I updated all my stuff
dealing with X last night (I'm running woody).  Any help getting past that
and into X desktop?  I installed gdm, and it looks fine, and if you try to
log in, it pops you right back to the login screen...hmmm...

TIA
Jeff

--
Jeff Maxson