Re: jurisdictions (was: FW: Careful. This is for information only.)

On 8 Aug 2001, John Hasler wrote:

> Bruce writes:
> > Searching the RCMP site reveals they consider "computer crimes" to be a
> > matter for the local police.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Sure, once an offender has been identified.

> > Not encouraging.
>
> Why?  I've seen no evidence that the bungling boobs at the FBI have been
> any help.

I have confidence that my local police force can collaborate
effectively with a jurisdiction on the other side of the country, but
once you start crossing international borders...  also, taking Canada
and the US as examples, any cooperation between the two nations that
involves `problem areas', rather than specific incidents, seems to be
handled by the RCMP and one of the organizations you mentioned (Drug
Enforcement Administration; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms,
etc.)

Essentially, this international issue is not on the RCMP's radar;
viruses, trojans, etc., are seen as a matter of keeping ones virus
scanning software up to date (too bad that paradigm doesn't seem to be
working).  So far, it looks like the federal government will need to
pass explicit laws making viruses, etc., illegal before the RCMP
can/will even consider the issue... that is not encouraging because
governments tend to be slow and too cut'n'dried/black'n'white with
their remedies.

- Bruce