Re: No WindowManager (Was NVidia Problem)

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 08:11, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> I am using XFree86 v4.0.1.  Does one still use startx?  I have been
> typing XFree86 -configfile= <> to start the X server.  When I type
> startx it seems that the system tried to run X ver3 which does not
> support my card.  At least, it tries to use the XF86Config instead
> of XF86Config-4.
>
> Maybe startx is using xserver-svga when it should be using
> xf86server?
>
> How can I figure which server X is trying to start?

Make sure that /etc/X11/X is pointing to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
XFree86 is the only xserver for XF86 4.X. If it's not, you can delete
/etc/X11/X and relink it to the right xserver.

>From your log file, you are running 4.1.0 and the log doesn't show
anything that would stop X from working. Since your config file
works, you can probably move it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, which is
preferred location.

After moving your config and relinking to the correct Xserver, startx
should work for you.

> > >I tried putting a .xinitrc with
> > >exec wmaker
> > >then
> > >exec icewm
> > >
> > >to no avail.  Here is my XFree86.0.log
>
> put wmaker in your .xinitrc and run startx. if your
> x is set up properly, it will start up. the same for
> icewm - no exec icewm, just plain icewm.
>
> sam

Using your method, did Sam's suggestion help?

--
Anthony Lau