Re: Replacing a RAID Drive

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:23:47PM -0400, Robert James Kaes wrote:
> How does the RAID system know which hard drive _was_ the bad when
> I reboot. In other words, where is this information stored? Since I have
> the new hard drive partitions set to type FD they should be automatically
> included in the RAID system. Also I had persistent superblock enabled when
> I formated the RAID device. What I concerned about is that the system will
> try to mirror the empty hard drive instead of the full drive.

There aren't any persistent superblocks on the replacement drive.  It
doesn't contain any information declaring where it fits into the RAID,
so it's obviously not a part of the array.

> When I do a
> shutdown of the system will the current RAID setup be stored on the good
> hard drive to be read in when they system boots back up again?

Not "will be stored"; it's already there.

> Do I have to run any commands before the shutdown to let the RAID system
> know what's happening?

Nope.  The array(s) will be shut down by scripts in init.d, just like
everything else.

> Sorry if this seems confusing, but I don't really want the computer
> offline for any longer than it needs to be. :)

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the second system.  Shut down,
swap drive, restart, partition new drive on system containing the
array, raidhotadd, and you're good to go.  The only thing you're really
buying yourself by using a separate system to do the partitioning is a
(slightly) smaller window in which a second drive failure on the RAID
would really screw you over.

The md device remains operational through all of this, even when it's
degraded or rebuilding.  Which is why RAID rocks.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox