Re: ldconfig

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 05:23:08PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:06:56PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> > I have dselect in somewhat of a mess, having a number of programs
> > 'in limbo' (including libc6). Trying to downgrade libc6, I got
> > the same error message to that below - (this actual error was
> > obtained by trying to remove a program I don't need to see if
> > there's an overall problem with ldconfig).
> > The paths are in fact correct.
> >
> > ------
> > # dpkg -r elvis-tiny
> > dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
> > dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> > NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
> > ------
> >
> > I don't know which program provides the command 'ldconfig'. Can
> > anyone enlighten me please.
>
> Sounds to me like you upgraded to libc6 2.2, and then tried to go back
> to 2.1.x.

Yes that's exactly what I did.

> You need to reinstall ldso. Download it from potato, and do
> this:
>
> dpkg --force-bad-path -i ldso.deb
>
> That should fix your problem.

It has indeed.
I'm starting (at last) to get some understanding, but, although I've
looked hard at man dpkg, I don't think I would ever have tried that.
Suppose it's another case of 'no substitute for experience'.
Now for the remainder of the mess!

Many thanks, Ben.

Regards,          John.
.