ldconfig

I have dselect in somewhat of a mess, having a number of programs
'in limbo' (including libc6). Trying to downgrade libc6, I got
the same error message to that below - (this actual error was
obtained by trying to remove a program I don't need to see if
there's an overall problem with ldconfig).
The paths are in fact correct.

------
# dpkg -r elvis-tiny
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
------

I don't know which program provides the command 'ldconfig'. Can
anyone enlighten me please.

Grateful for any assistance.            John.
.