Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

On 8 Aug 2001, John Hasler wrote:
> Bruce writes:
> > If someone put a vermicide package in Debian,...
>
> Such a package cannot go into Debian.  Besides, such a thing should not be
> used by anyone not prepared to build it from source.
>
> > I think the time is right for software antibiotic and vermicide packages,
> > and I think anything that helps stop the spread of infectious agents
> > would be welcome by everyone using the 'net for legitimate purposes... as
> > long as the steps taken are not proactive, there should be little room
> > for the owners of systems that get medicated to accuse the users of such
> > packages of engaging in nefarious activities.
>
> I agree with you completely, but the NatCops are unlikely to agree with you
> at all.

There is safety in numbers... hence the call for packages (binary,
source, or installer, using Debian's terminology).  The NetCops ("Nat"
was a typo?) obviously don't know what to do except threaten legal
action, and I believe they would be seen as the bad guys for harassing
people trying to minimise or fix something they themselves recognize
as a serious problem.

It would be a good test of `Good Samaritan' laws, if nothing else.

- Bruce