Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:36:53AM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> How about this? [ "white" worm ]

You're missing the point.

No one here is saying you would be a bad person if you {shut
off/nuked/notified} a remote site that is already affected with the
worm du jour.

What I'm trying to say (and John Hasler as well if I may be
presumptuous) is that given the current state of affairs legally, you
would be _unwise_ to set up your system in such a way that it did
something to another machine via some back door mechanism, even if
what you did was clearly beneficial.

Many are saying "but that's stupid, it's sad that we can't help".
You are absolutely correct.  The Internet was supposed to be about
cooperation ... as far as I can see it's mostly a playground for
idiots and control freaks.

If you want to figure out how to "stop" code red, go right ahead!
However, don't be surprised when some moron calls you and wants to
know why you've "hacked" his system.  You can't share wisdom with
fools, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.