Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

Shri writes:
> Considering most people agree that it IS Illegal to be accessing someone
> elses computer for "good" or bad ? why then, can we not at least threaten
> to sue the people who are trying to get into our boxes at our cost ?

I suppose you can.  You just have to figure out who to snail-mail the
threat to.

> On the other hand, could one sue Microsoft (do they provide implied
> warranties with regards to their suitability for certain tasks ?

On would think that there are grounds for a class-action lawsuit here, but
if there were I'm sure that someone would already have launched one.

> In theory, is it not their product that is "hacking" into other computers
> - as opposed to the operator who may not even be aware of the infection.

Unfortunately it is seen as a law enforcement problem, not a software bug.
The authorities, the media, and the public seem to believe that the
"hackers" (=="criminals") are solely at fault and that Microsoft is
blameless.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)