Re: Debian Tiny Install Suggestions

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Lance Peterson wrote:

> I would like to attempt to create a tiny install of Debian.  Not as small
> as the Linux Router Project, but much smaller than the standard base

> Would it be possible to start out with just a kernel and the apt-get
> utility?  Then I can use apt-get to install individual packages as needed
> (with dependents) from my Debian CD-ROM.

Start with a base system and remove packages you don't want.
Replace packages with your own smaller packages as you desire.

Making a small linux system isn't difficult.  Making a tiny-debian
system which can be merged into the standard release might require
a lot of attention to the dependency tree.  And would be
a nice thing!

rob                     Live the dream.