Debian Tiny Install Suggestions

I would like to attempt to create a tiny install of Debian.  Not as small
as the Linux Router Project, but much smaller than the standard base
system and gear it towards networking/routing/firewalling based on a
2.4.x kernel.

This may have already been done, but I still want to try it.

Would it be possible to start out with just a kernel and the apt-get
utility?  Then I can use apt-get to install individual packages as needed
(with dependents) from my Debian CD-ROM.

Thanks in advance for any help getting this setup.

Lance Peterson

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com