Re: triple install -- which bootmanager

High,

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I was asked by a friend to install Debian on her system. No problem
> usually, but she wants german windows, japanese windows and linux on it.
> Now, it is no problem to dual-boot, but it is not very easy to dual-boot
> two windows versions (You have to hide one partition in order to use the
> other one, I think). Has anybody done this before? Any hints how I can
> install and boot it?

I think that it is easier if these are win2k (NT) oze's, but it should
work with win9x too. AFAIK there is no real need to hide one partition
from another, but if it fails, two versions on seperate harddisks should
work. Just use LILO and make two entries for the windoze's. Linux should
not be that hard of a problem.

Note that if you want to start windoze from not the first disk, you have
to do a little trick. This could be a piece of the lilo config:

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
       label=doz
       table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/hdb1
       label=doz2
       table=/dev/hdb
       map-drive=0x80
       to=0x81
       map-drive=0x81
       to=0x80

With Linux and windoze1 on /dev/hda (first hd) and windoze2 on the next
harddisk. The drive mapping is needed because windoze (better: doz) wants
to be the first os on the system.

If you want all on one harddisk, just remove the mapping lines.

greetz,
Sebastiaan