Re: satellite hookup

on Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 12:00:39AM -0500, Petr [Dingo] Dvorak (dingo@texoma.net) wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Ian Perry wrote:
>
> IP> Hey Dingo,
> IP>
> IP> I had a one way sat link here for a while....
> IP> It ran a Hughes card in it....
> IP> I tried to get it up under Debian but noone supported it.
> IP> I ended up running it under 98.
> IP> Finally after much trouble, we took it off line and went back to ISDN
> IP>
> IP> Hope you have better luck.

> with browsing web pages this is really not much of a issue, most of
> them should fit well within the alloted burst of data, but it could be
> problem with remote shells and other things that send/receive alot of
> small packets.

An issue you're neglecting to consider is latency.  Geosynchronous
satellites are at 23,000 miles.  Single-hop links involve a round-trip
of 46,000 miles.  That's a quarter of a light-second.  Meaning, it's
going to take quarter second to get from one end of the link to the
other.  This means that every send/receive packet transaction takes one
half second.

For some protocols (e.g.:  FTP), there are a slew of such transactions
that take place, including DNS resolution, host contact, login, command
stream, and data stream.  That's at least 2.5 seconds to start
downloading data.  HTTP has less of a connection overhead, but you're
still looking at considerable latency for every connection made.  This
is less an issue with bulk data transfers, but it will play hell with
your netreck game, and forget Internet telephony.

The PBS Cringely has a note on how he swapped out his satellite service
for 802.11b service, over an eight mile line-of-site link to a neighbor
who was within telco limits for DSL service.  A large motivator was
satellite latency.  Makes for interesting reading.