apt cache initialization error

I'm getting a cache initialization error which is not allowing me to use
apt-get or any of the package tools unless my source lists only have local
entries.  I tried doing apt-cache gencaches but that didn't work.  After
reading the man pages I can't seem to find a hint as
how to fix this.  Does anyone have any clues?

apt-get update just reports W: Couldn't stat source package list...
I have a dump of the cache as well as a "check".  The dump looks ok but here
is the first few lines of apt-cache check:
Bad section libpaperg
Bad prio libpaperg,1.0.3-13.potato1 == 0
Bad section pnmtopng
Bad prio pnmtopng,2.37.4-1 == 0
Bad section xcdroast
Bad prio xcdroast,0.96e-3 == 0

I haven't really done anything different to this machine other that trying to
get a remote printer to work.

TIA,
Jesse

p.s.  please cc me I'm currently off-list