Re: exploring debian's users and groups

Previously Sam Couter wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > dialout:
> >
> > 	HELP: Is this used for /dev/cua devices or something?
>
> Probably historically mixed up with uucp, fax and dip. I don't see why four
> groups for serial port access are necessary.

No, they are very different:

* dialout: full access to serial ports. If someone has this he can reconfigure
  the modem, dial anywhere, etc.
* dip: allows a user to dialout using tools such as pon/poff, dip, wvdial,
  etc.
* fax: allows a user to use fax software to send / receive faxes
* uucp:  used to be used for serial port locking, now just used by uucp

Having those four seperate is extremely useful.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |