Re: LT WinModem and kernel headers

D. Hoyem wrote:

Deven,
  You hit the nail on the head there... If Paul would
go to linmodems.org and look around there he would
probably find a .deb for his version of kernel and
then he wouldn't need the headers.
Don --- JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

It appears to me that when you are trying to make
this driver, what it's complaining about is either that your kernel is not the same version as your kernel sources in usr/src, or that this source can't work with the version of either you have. Make sure you have the SAME version kernel as your kernel headers and try it again.

-- Deven

I think we are all very close. I have done my best at all places that linmodems.org leads to which is the path that lead me to ltmodem-5.99b.

As much as I have decoded from the included scripts leads me to believe that the install will work if I can get the kernel headers installed on my machine that match my kernel.

My kernel seems to be 2.2.19pre17 as reported by uname.

The only files I have found so far - I used dpkg on my system and just went to ftp.debian.org are:

kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-compact and kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-idepci.

The install script thinks that it wants:

kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17

This is determined by a very long configure script called from the install script. I have found the place in that configure script where the mismatch is declared but have not yet figured how that script determines that.

I am offered an option to override the kernel header name but that parameter seems to need to be edited into the install script.

It's either that or understanding what the kernel header names above mean.

I have just D/L'd the documentation for my kernel from ftp.debian.org and will read that. I believe that documentation is already on my system but I am still learning where to find some things.

Thanks,

Paul