xscreensaver DPMS bug (was Re: DPMS keeps getting disabled in XFree 4)

on Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:12:19AM -0600, mark@foresthaven.com (mark@foresthaven.com) wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I just upgraded to woody and XFree 4.0 and I have one nagging little
> problem. I enabled DPMS for my monitor but it keeps getting turned
> off.
>
> For example, I enter the following:
>
> xset dpms 300 600 900
> xset +dpms
> xset q

> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 300    Suspend: 600    Off: 900
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> Several minutes later, though I do 'xset q' and get
>
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 7200    Suspend: 7200    Off: 14400
>   DPMS is Disabled
>
> If T try 'xset dpms force suspend' the monitor goes immediately into
> standby mode so I know that the capability is there. Does anyone know
> why it keeps getting turned off?

This is an xscreensaver bug.  I'd recommend filing a bug against the
upstream maintainer.

xscreensaver now includes DPMS functionality.  Unfortunately, this is
not well documented, and the change comes as a surprise to those using
other means of controling DPMS settings.

I don't know a good solution, my preference is for xscreensaver to
exclude this functionality, or to implement it via external reference to
DPMS settings.  Unfortunately, there is no .dpmsrc file standard, DPMS
is started via xset, or now, xscreensaver.  If there were some way for
xscreensaver to determine how DPMS has been set, and preserve current
settings, life might be good.  Unfortunately, there's little difference
between a default DPMS setting and one that's been specified by the
user.