Re: Debian keeps hanging!

	Subject: Debian keeps hanging!
	Date: Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:49:24PM +0100

Quoting Richard Gaywood(rich@fscked.co.uk):
> My Debian testing install keeps locking up solid under X and it's
> driving me crazy. At apparantly random intervals - sometimes hours,
> sometimes minutes - the entire machine just comes to a screeching halt.
> Not even Magic SysRq can persuade it to do anything afterwards. I'm
> getting real tired of fsck bootups...
>
> I used to have a problem with the Xserver dying at random on my Xinerama
> setup, but pulling the second graphics card (an S3) fixed that. Now I
> just get this hanging.

Had the same problem here.  It turned out to be a messed up
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Went tru the man page for XF86Config and
finally got it running.  IIRC I started with a fresh config by using
XFree86 -configure
Which got most, but not all, of the correct info for the video card.
At least it stopped hanging the system!

This was the first time I had ever run into a complete system freeze
on Linux.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Bringing computers into the home won't change either one, but may
revitalize the corner saloon.