Re: learning to find packages

Bob Koss wrote:

> This is AOL instant messanger for Linux (my company uses it since we're
> distributed).
> www.aol.com/aim
>
> I downloaded the .deb package and installed with dpkg.  dpkg did not give
> any errors.

AOL must not have properly specified the dependencies. This is not a
problem with .deb packages acquired from Debian, but obviously there's
no way for the Debian project to enforce its standards on other people
distributing their own packages.

> I tried to enter libstdc++-lib6.1-1.so.2, and smaller pieces all the way
> down to libstdc++ and didn't get any hits.

Funny, I found it first time out. You want libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 from
the oldlibs section.

Craig