RE: learning to find packages

> > I try to start an application and it says that it can't load
> > libstdc++-lib6.1-1.so.2.
>
> You should not have to deal with this problem.

I keep hearing that. ;-)  Unfortunately, it doesn't match my experiences
over the last week :-(

> What application are you
> using?  Was it installed from a .deb?  If so, and you used apt-get, the
> necessary libraries would have been installed for you.  If you installed
> the package "manually" using dpkg, then dpkg should have informed you
> that you were missing a specific package.

This is AOL instant messanger for Linux (my company uses it since we're
distributed).
www.aol.com/aim

I downloaded the .deb package and installed with dpkg.  dpkg did not give
any errors.

> > I look in /usr/lib and I see that I have:
> >
> > libstdc++3-lib6.1-2-2.10.0.so
> > libstdc++3-lib6.2-2-2.10.0.so
> >
> > I tried to make a link from what the app wanted to what I have
> and that only
> > produced a seg fault.
>
> Search for file names at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.  There
> are actually two search engines on that page.  The first allows you to
> search based on package name, while the second (the one you need) allows
> you to search based on file name.

I tried to enter libstdc++-lib6.1-1.so.2, and smaller pieces all the way
down to libstdc++ and didn't get any hits.

> Am I correct in assuming that you are trying to install a non-Debian
> binary package?

No, it's a .deb (see above).

----
Robert S. Koss, Ph.D.   | Training and Mentoring
Senior Consultant       | Object Oriented Design
Object Mentor, Inc.     | C++, Java
www.objectmentor.com    | Extreme Programming