Re: dist upgrade potato to woody 2.2 to 2.4 kernel

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:54:18AM -0400, Stephen Nosal wrote:
> Mark -
>
> I've performed the apt-get dist-upgrade without the kernel change. Then,
> rather than compiling the kernel, I'm apt-get install ing the new
> kernel-image. The configuration has been my down fall. It proceeds normally,
> but then the reboot fails with a kernel panic that it can't find root at
> hda2. Root is located at /dev/hda2. There is no boot prompt to pass the
> process additional parameters.

I'm not sure what is in the prebuilt kernel images but I've been told
that with the 2.4 kernels it is possible to compile device support for
your root device as a module. This is too weird for me so I haven't
attempted it. Perhaps that is what they are doing and it's not
working.

In any event, it may be faster for you to build your own kernel rather
than wonder what is wrong with theirs.

-- Mark