Re: linux and cable modem

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 07:19:58AM -0400, Michael W. Cole wrote:
| I have a linux on Mac IIci, MacOS9.1 and Win95 attached to a AOpen
| Internet Hub which is then attached to a NetGear Gateway Router (model
| RT311) which is attached to the cable modem.  I have tried to configure
| all three machines to be hosts on the local network.  The only one that
| I can't seem to get to work is the linux machine.  Is there something
| special that needs to be done to get this machine to ping the local
| network or to use the router. Using debian 2.2, vmlinux
| 2.2.19-20010521.  All I have is the initial base configuration.
|
| I have /etc/network/interfaces set up as
| iface lo inet loopback
|
| iface eth0 inet static
|     address    192.168.0.3
|     netmask    255.255.255.0
|     broadcast   192.168.0.255
|     gateway    192.168.0.1
|     network    192.168.0.0
|
| /etc/resolv.conf
|     name server    192.168.0.1
| I have also had it as
|     nameserver    192.168.0.1, but neither seems to work or matter.
| I have /etc/networks
|     loopnet    127.0.0.0
|     localnet    192.168.0.0
| My ethernet card is a dayna_1c (I think).  It is recognized when probed
| on boot up.
|
| It is my understanding that anything attached to the network should be
| able to ping other hosts on that network.  The mac and win machines will
| ping but the linux one won't.

Yes, the linux box should be able to ping the mac and win systems just
fine -- they are on the same ethernet connection so there is no
routing to be done there.

Is the gateway setting on the linux box the same as the other boxes?
Is it the correct setting?  What does 'route -n' say?  If you are
having trouble getting on the internet, then it is usually a routing
problem.  Try 'traceroute <ip or host>' too and see how far the
packets are getting.

HTH,
-D