linux and cable modem

I have a linux on Mac IIci, MacOS9.1 and Win95 attached to a AOpen
Internet Hub which is then attached to a NetGear Gateway Router (model
RT311) which is attached to the cable modem.  I have tried to configure
all three machines to be hosts on the local network.  The only one that
I can't seem to get to work is the linux machine.  Is there something
special that needs to be done to get this machine to ping the local
network or to use the router. Using debian 2.2, vmlinux
2.2.19-20010521.  All I have is the initial base configuration.

I have /etc/network/interfaces set up as
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
    address    192.168.0.3
    netmask    255.255.255.0
    broadcast   192.168.0.255
    gateway    192.168.0.1
    network    192.168.0.0

/etc/resolv.conf
    name server    192.168.0.1
I have also had it as
    nameserver    192.168.0.1, but neither seems to work or matter.
I have /etc/networks
    loopnet    127.0.0.0
    localnet    192.168.0.0
My ethernet card is a dayna_1c (I think).  It is recognized when probed
on boot up.

It is my understanding that anything attached to the network should be
able to ping other hosts on that network.  The mac and win machines will
ping but the linux one won't.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Michael
begin:vcard
n:Cole;Michael
tel;pager:757 475-3182
tel;home:757 548-0746
tel;work:757 548-0746
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;525 Fernwood Farms Road;Chesapeake;Virginia;23320;
version:2.1
email;internet:mcole@erols.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Michael Cole