Re: iptables log random access attempts to my server. why?

On 05 Aug 2001 13:56:57 +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> hi all,
>
> recently, i installed a new server in a server farm, but since it
> isn't ready for production yet, it's only running ssh, everything else
> is turned off and blocked with iptables en plus. the ip address is new
> and unknown [1] since i haven't published it yet.
>
> i get connection attempts every 10 minutes or so by random IP
> addresses (i.e. ones that i wouldn't have anything to do with),
> iptables log them as

I would ignore these connect attempts.  I don't know if you've noticed
but the Windows Code Red worm is still going around with a new worm
(using the same exploit, but a new worm) that's been named "CodeRed II".

Without knowing what the connection attempt was trying to do the
connection attempt can be explained away by either the worms or someone
mistyping an IP number.

--

Phil