Re: [OT] Power supply specs

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 04:31:31PM -0500, Jeremy wrote:
| Heloo, all...
|
| I'm looking around for a new case to replace my current one, and in looking
| at the power supplies that come with them, I've noticed that a number of them
| say that they are "AMD approved".  I was wondering if this means that they
| cannot be used with a P3. (I'm wondering the same about ones that say they're
| P4 ready)

That is just marketing speak.  It means that AMD has, in some shape or
form, tested that power supply with their chips and they say it works.
What you really need is enough power, not a marketing label.

| I have a dual P3 mobo, and I just want to make sure that I get a
| power supply that works with my current setup.

I say get as big a power supply as you can.  I used to have a Compaq
that had a 110W power supply.  I absolutely could not add a second
hard drive to it.  (Actually, it worked for quite a while, then
started having problems.  When I unplugged other drives from the power
supply the disk was fine)  I have a 300W supply in my Duron case.
I've heard that the dual Athlon systems need 460+W power supplies.  I
think if you get a power supply that can pump enough power out then
you will be fine.

HTH,
-D