batch converting PNG icons to XPM

Hi

I'm trying to convert many PNG icons (with transparency) to xpm with
transparency to use as icons with application that doesn't support png
(tkdesk). I tried to find a 'mogrify' or 'convert' option to keep the
transparency but nothing works. every time I'm converting an image the
transparent pixels becomes grey. I don't want to use the '-transparency'
option because that would change all the pixels that use this color.
any ideas? (of course I'm looking for a command-line application, not
X...)

btw, some of the png files have transparency that xpm doesn't support
(xpm only supports on/off bits) so I'll use the default 127 threshold
(the default when converting with gimp).

Thanks in advance
--
Haim