Re: imap-server: A neverending story?

On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 21:12:58 +0200, Martin Puaschitz writes:
>Thanks for all the help about my apt-get problem. Now there is somthing new.
>I would like to run an imapserver on my debian-system 2.2 unstable. I have
>an static-ip-adress with permanent connection and the server should relay
>mails for people inside AND outside (intranet and everything else) the server.
> So
>the whole server should send and receive mails for me.

ITYM the server should /receive/ mails for your domain from both the
 in- and outside and you want to be able to /get/ those mails via IMAP.
Of course you also want to be able to /send/ mails to the big bad
 internet from inside via the server.

>I tried to do "apt-get install courier-imap". Everything worked fine. After
>the installation I tried to connect from outlook to the server (per intranet)
>but no connection was available. A "ps ax | grep imapd" showed nothing, but
>/usr/sbin/imapd did not changed this status as well. What is the problem?
>Which packages do I need (courier-base, courier-mta..... - and in which order?
>)
>and which config-files are needed to be edited?
>
>A quick and dirty mini-todo would be great....

First of all you should know how many users you´ll have on the box, if
 it´s just for a handful of trusted people you can take the easy way,
 make some local accounts and aliases, et voila.
If it´s for some company with tens or hundreds of lusers you should
 take a more cautios route with no local accounts et al (eg cyrus).

The easy way lies in /etc/imapd.conf and /etc/inetd.conf, for the more
 secure approach email me off-list, I might do some FAQ then.

>Thanks a lot,
>Martin (who wants his email-adress back)...

@blackbox.at ISTR ;-? But that´s some years in the past ...

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Basically, no matter what you compare spammers
-- to, that object will be insulted.