Re: undelete for ext2

Shriram Shrikumar <prince_shri@yahoo.com> writes:

> it seems to find the deleted inodes and then tries to dump them in a
> specified folder which leaves me with a lot of dumpxxxx files -
> anybody with any clues as to what I can do with these files to put
> them back where they belong ? or maybe even a better undelete
> sofware.

Hmm, restore your backup. ;-)

The file names were stored in the directory entries, which likely have
been overwritten during the deletion process.

So the best thing is to recover the essential data (e.g., mailboxes),
and just reinstall the system (after a backup).

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/