Re: ntp: not synchronized?

on Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 06:43:07PM -0500, ktb (ktb@nixnotes.org) wrote:

> I guess I was under the impression that ntpdate snagged it's info from
> ntp servers generally running on port 123.  I just assumed it would
> return on the same port.  Guess that is a wrong assumption.

Generally.  A listening port is where a process listens for incoming
traffic.  For example, 80 is where your webserver sits.  Traffic to 80
will be intercepted by apache (or alternative).  Your outgoing web
queries sit at some port above 1024, and *send* queries to 80.
ntpdate is presumably similar.

> There is the "-u" option for ntpdate which might be useful -

Thanks, I'd missed that.  Still doesn't work though.