Re: One silly doubt and one good one

Oh, boy.  We've got a green one here...

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:05:51AM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> Godd Morning Everybody !
> I wish to ask 2 questions :
> 1. Supposing you are having a  binary cose , say scoadmin  , on a SCOUnix machine  ,
> , , How do I transport this binary to Linux , so that it works over there ?

I don't know if there are any syscall translation projects out there
for this.  Maybe someone else can help...

>I tried
> once but , it didnt materialise. Perhaps something with header files or machine
> specifications ? If yes , is there anything called de-compile for C/C++ code? I
> understand that you can decompile Java code (though  not to human readable format) .

Yes, you can decompile it down to assembler.  Some will output _very_
low level C code.  You're not going to get anything like the origional
source code.

> 2. Binary is for the Unixes (including Linux) and Ascii is used by Windows . What
> exactly are these ? Are they machine code?

Binary is machine code.

ASCII is a standard that converts data stored by the computer into
text.

Both UNIX and windows use ASCII for text files.  Both UNIX and
windows use binary for program files (executables, libraries, etc.)

There is a difference between UNIX and windows text files, and that is
what they use as their line end character(s).

Windows uses the two characters "carridge return" and "line feed",
which can be abbreviated as "crlf".  Also note that you will find
"carridge return" as "\r" and "line feed" as "\n" all over the place
in UNIX.

run "man ascii" for details.

Also go over to www.linuxdoc.org and read all of the intro pages.

Mike