Re: [OT] Network speed ... again

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:04:14PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
| I was wondering what real-world speeds are of a 100base-t network really
| are.

I've seen several hundred Kbytes downstream FTP transfer before (from
a remote internet site and I have no idea what the network
characteristics were between my machine and that one).  I could
download an ISO in ~20 minutes while at school.

| I've got (3) machines here at home, connected to one another via a
| Linksys router/switch. It uses the switch for the LAN side and it's
| rated at 100mb/s (or is it mB/s ??). All network cards are also rated

That's a little 'b' for bits.  A big 'B' means bytes.  The difference
is a factor of 8.

| for 100mb/s. The lights on the switch indicate that they're connecting
| at that speed also.
|
| Now, between my machine and my "file server", I just got done
| transfering files and saw the speed stabilize at around 15mb/s. I've

Are you sure that is a little 'b'?  If it is bytes, not bits, as most
programs report rates then you had a 120 mb/s transfer rate.  That
sounds much better, now doesn't it? ;-)

| read that on a 10base-T network, getting 5mb/s is "good", so I assume
| 50mb/s is good on my network. Of course, I'm nowhere near that.
|
| Is there anything I can configure differently ?? I'm using NFS to share
| disk space. My machine has an AMD 450mhz processor and 128mb RAM. The
| filesystem is EXT3 and the kernel is 2.4.7. On the "server", it's got a
| Pentium 233MMX and 64mb RAM. It's filesystem is ReiserFS. It's running
| Mandrake 8 (unsure of kernel -- it's 2.4.x).

NFS usually runs over UDP, but FYI TCP has "slow start" so that if
there isn't a lot of bandwidth available it won't flood the network
right away (it will pick up in speed as it realizes bandwidth is
there however).

HTH,
-D