RE: kernel 2.4.7 doesn't work

I have been trying to get a 2.4 kernel working in different forms for some
time now.  The problems that have been posted with the results of:

>VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on 03:02

or similar are typical for those that have downloaded a 2.4.x kernel image
through dselect (or equiv) and have tried to get it to work.  The solution
has been to make sure that your /etc/lilo.conf includes the line:

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-686

for the 2.4.7 kernel for a 686 or greater.  This will get the kernel to boot
and start working for my desktop machine.  The suggested solutions about
making sure ext2 has been compiled in don't apply here since it is a
pre-built kernel image.  Although this will finally work on my desktop, it
still won't work on my laptop.  I can't get my pcmcia network card to come
up.  Since the 2.2.18 kernel, that works, I havn't found out what is
different in the modules used or how to get the right ones loaded.

I've found that just downloading the source and building my own kernel can
eliminate the initrd issues that have caused a lot of the posted problems, I
still haven't been able to get pcmcia services to bring up my network card
either!  I'd prefer to use my own built kernel as my final solution as I
dislike the pre-built kernels initrd solution.

I could really use some help here.  Anyone know how to make it all happen?

-Craig