Re: Sawfish blocking X....

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 05:51:04PM +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

| which seems ok, noticed that module sb doesn't work for me despite
| having a (PCI) low level soundblaster card found a working module with
| the sledgehammer method:
| for i in *; do modprobe `basename $i .o` ; done and looked what
| loaded.....

FYI, I remember reading a while back that most "SB compatible" cards
are not really SB compatible.

| and gnome relies on that daemon AFAIK..... any idea? and is this thing
| the cause of the sawfish blockout?

If you turn of sound stuff and don't run esd then you will be fine.
At the moment I don't have a sound card in my system so I turned of
sound and don't run esd and have no problems.  For me, when I did try
and start, eg, xmms I would get "couldn't open /dev/dsp" errors (duh,
no sound card there) but GNOME, etc, would still work properly.

-D