Re: How secure am I?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 10:21:51AM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> Now that I've ADSL working, I suppose I'd better take a few precautions.
>
> 1. Running woody so is there a Woody specific line to add to sources'list
> for security updates?

Be warned that you have to pay some attention to security when running
testing. Developers never upload to testing, just unstable, and packages
then propagate through to testing after a delay to ensure that they
aren't completely broken; however, in the case of security fixes in
unstable this can mean that urgent uploads don't always propagate
through as quickly as they might.

Unfortunately I can't really offer you a wonderful solution at the
moment. However, since we're approaching freeze, the distribution should
be in a condition where security fixes can propagate into testing
relatively quickly now.

> I see no need to share a printer, port 25, dns or finger with the internet
> at large.  In fact, I don't know what finger, sunprpc, time, discard,
> daytime do :-(

Check your /etc/inetd.conf for starters.