How secure am I?

Hi all,

Now that I've ADSL working, I suppose I'd better take a few precautions.

1. Running woody so is there a Woody specific line to add to sources'list
for security updates?

2. nmap from a remote host shows the following:
Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor@dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Interesting ports on host217-35-25-225.in-addr.btopenworld.com
(217.35.25.225):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
9       open        tcp        discard
13      open        tcp        daytime
21      open        tcp        ftp
22      open        tcp        ssh
25      open        tcp        smtp
37      open        tcp        time
53      open        tcp        domain
79      open        tcp        finger
80      open        tcp        http
111     open        tcp        sunrpc
113     open        tcp        auth
139     open        tcp        netbios-ssn
515     open        tcp        printer
901     open        tcp        unknown
1024    open        tcp        unknown

I see no need to share a printer, port 25, dns or finger with the internet
at large.  In fact, I don't know what finger, sunprpc, time, discard,
daytime do :-(

Any suggested URLs apart from the
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html appreciated.

Thanks.