Re: fixing a debian system: which RTFM to start?

on Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:23:25PM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim (rms46@vlsm.org) wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am a lay debian user with minimum operating experience.
> Would someone please inform me, which manual to read for
> fixing a REMOTE debian system (i.e. ca. 10000 miles from my
> place)?

ssh is good, but sometimes there's nothing like being there.

> First the good news:
> - I can reboot the system (and login again into it)
> - It is not a production system (so no worries for ruin it)
>
> The Bad News is:
> - many anomalies occurs, e.g. the "named" sometimes dies.

Log messages?  Why are you running named?  While it can be useful, often
a caching DNS is fully sufficient.

> - not much information is available about the history of
>   the system.

Hardware specs are most useful.

> - When I try to "update" (in dselect) it complains that
>  "mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda as a
>          block device"
>   despite there are only /dev/sda, /dev/hdb, and /dev/hdc
>   on the system.

Check /etc/fstab to see if you've got /dev/hda listed -- it should
probably be /dev/hda[1234], or similar.

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list?

> The current kernel is 2.4.6 and /etc/apt/sources.list
> points to woody (with commented potato).

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org