Re: BIIIG apt-get problem!

"Martin Puaschitz" <puaschitz@gmx.at> writes:
> Hey boys and girls!
>
> I am running a Debian 2.2 with update+unstable here. I wanted to run a
> cyrus-imap server but I had lots of troubles with it. So I tried to remove it from
> the system, to re-install it later on.
>
> But now I have some serious troubles where I do not see a way out. Perhaps
> somebody on the list knows the solution.
[snip]
> Which config-file is missing? What can I do to solve the trouble and
> re-install the imap server....

I've only been faced with this situation once and I'll tell you what I
did. I went into /var/lib/dpkg/info and looked at the preremoval
script and found out what file it wanted to remove and created an
empty file where it was looking. It happily found it, removed it and
chugged along happily thereafter.

There are many situations like this where I've found it advantageous
to look at the appropriate script in /var/lib/dpkg/info to see what
the heck it's doing.

Of course I tend to use the quick-n-dirty approach to problem solving
and maybe there's a better way.

Gary