INFO: Using openAFS under Debian on the UNC network

After much fiddling, I have managed to get an openAFS client working on my
office machine at the University of North Carolina. As a public service
I've posted the steps I went through at:

http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin/tips/src/afs-debian-potato-unc.txt

Background information:
- Hardware is an IBM NetVista, 1Ghz PIII processor, 512M RAM (UNC users
will know it as the current "CCI Technology-Driven Model" with some extra
RAM)
- OS is Debian 2.2r3, installed from the net, with all current updates and
security patches
- openAFS version 1.1.1 from openafs.org

Everything works great with the installation, *except* that I have to
manually obtain a token for authentication; that is, after login I do:

klog

and type my password to get access. I don't mind this, but if anyone knows
the reason I'd be interested.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

Andy Perrin

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA