Root on RAID
I'm trying to install a system with root fs on RAID.
I have done this successfully on Turbolinux 6.1 before, but don't seem to
be able to get it to work under Turbolinux.
Procedure followed (based on the Boot+Root+Raid+Lilo-HOWTO):
- Get and install kernel version 2.2.19 source code (Debian package)
- Patch with appropriate patch from kernel.org (I found out later that
a Debian package of a raid patch is available in the testing
- Make and install a kernel image using make-kpkg.
- Boot with new RAID-aware kernel
- Make RAID arrays with disk on which current installation resides as
- mke2fs on arrays
- Mount arrays under /mnt/raid with the same hierarchy as they will be
mounted in the root-on-RAID system
- Copy filesystems to arrays:
prompt# tar cf - -C / bin | tar xvf - -C /mnt/raid
# tar cf - -C / dev | tar xvf - -C /mnt/raid
- Edit /mnt/root/etc/lilo.conf
- run lilo to install an MBR on one (and later more than one) disks in the
prompt# chroot /mnt/raid lilo
- Edit /mnt/raid/etc/fstab to reflect root-RAID system fs structure
This procedure has been completely successful on Turbolinux 6.1, but on
Debian 2.2r3 (potato) I have been unable to boot.
lilo reports successful installation, but on reboot lilo reaches the
error state LI which, according to the LILO doc, indicates a geometry
Contents of /mnt/root/etc/lilo.conf follow. This was done according to
the above HOWTO.
/dev/md0 contains the /boot filesystem.
/dev/md2 contains the / (root) filesystem.
# Begin lilo.conf
# End lilo.conf
Help would be greatly appreciated...
George Karaolides 8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel: +35 79 68 08 86 Strovolos,
email: email@example.com Nicosia CY 2057,
web: www.karaolides.com Republic of Cyprus